Front Suspension rebuilt

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front Suspension rebuilt
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:04:10 -0400
Beginners questions....

OK I give up.... How do you remove the grease cap? Most grease caps I've
seen have a lip so you can stick the screwdriver under it and pry it
off. These's no lip on my TR250 grease caps. I think I remember someone,
maybe Bob Lang, say that you drill and tap the center of the graese cap,
screw a bolt down against the end of the stub shaft and the grease cap
comes off? Details? What size bolt and threads? Is there enough
thickness to the grease cap metal to hold the threads, or do I need to
weld a nut on it?

Also, what do I do when the 35+ year old split pins in the slotted nuts
break off? Do I have to drill them out or can I break them off as close
as possible and then just turn the slotted nut off without damaging the
bolt's threads? Maybe just replace the bolts with new?

Are the nuts and bolts at Lowes good enough -- grade 5? Three marks on
the bolt head is what I need? I don't see any marks on these bolt heads
-- maybe just too dirty. Enough just make sure the overall bolt length,
thread length and pitch match?

Thanks,

Don Malling