RE: Towing Legalities

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Towing Legalities
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:23:58 -0700
> Most modern day cars have towing capacities of 1000 lbs or
> less..........I
> think that is what your friend is thinking.

That may be true, but the law does not enforce manufacturer's recommended
tow ratings.

I routinely towed 2 and sometimes even 3 times my Chevy's 1000 lb rated tow
capacity, including several cross-country trips over the mountains.  Of
course, it did wear out the engine ... after only 250,000 miles ... and I
did have to stop a few times to let it cool when I couldn't schedule the
mountain climbing for after dark.  Dang cheap Chevy cooling system just
couldn't handle a 6% grade, in 95F ambient, with a car packed with people
and luggage, and towing roughly 2500 pounds ... and the A/C on <g>

Randall