Towing Legalities

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Towing Legalities
From: "Steven W. Reilly" <luckyone@sentex.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:43:50 -0400
Bill,

Most modern day cars have towing capacities of 1000 lbs or less..........I
think that is what your friend is thinking.   There are a few "New" cars
still for sale though that could still (legally) tow a spitfire such as the
Ford Crown victoria and Grand Marquis (2,000 lbs ratings) .  AFAIK 2,000
lbs is the maximum tow rating of any "car" for sale today.  The Chevrolet
Caprice had a tow rating of 5,000 lbs but was discontinued in '96.  Also,
the majority of cars sold nowadays are heavier than 2,000 lbs (So the
Highest capacity cars would be at their legal limit towing the lightest
cars available today).

Steve Reilly
'70 GT6's
'94 Caprice