RE: My TR6 - Runs For 20 Minutes Then....(a little longish)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: My TR6 - Runs For 20 Minutes Then....(a little longish)
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 23:20:18 -0700
> fuel pump is electric Carter #P4070 72gpm

That has got to be a typo ... or do you really have a pump capable of
emptying the tank in 10 seconds ???

> fuel filter is between tank & pump;

That would be my choice for culprit.  Have you tried bypassing the filter ?
I believe the Carter is a rotary vane type, and they are somewhat sensitive
to restriction on the input.  Something in the back of my head wants to say
the Carters also don't like "no flow" conditions and are best used with a
bleed line back to the tank, but I could be thinking of something else.

> Each time the clamp was released, fuel surged into the bottle and the fuel
> pressure gauge jumped up to about 3 psi.

Something is very wrong if your pump can put out only 4-5 psi at the rear,
and still build 3 psi against an open fuel line.  Could the line to the carb
be internally restricted ?

>  When the clamp was again tightened,
> pressure went down to zero psi.

That sounds like a defect in the pump itself.  Was the second pump you tried
also a Carter?

Just to be sure I understand, after you've driven the 30 minutes, the idle
is very rough, right?  And if you just let it idle for a few moments, it
smoothes out?  Sure sounds like a fuel problem, as does the zero pressure
indicated.

Randall