RE: oil pump priming

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: oil pump priming
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 23:00:42 -0700
> Jim's comment regarding having to clear out some of the holes in
> his rocker
> arms makes me wonder if this is somehow connected to some of the valve
> tappet failures other list members have had after their rebuilds.

FWIW I agree with Mike Porter, not likely.  The (deliberately) meager flow
to the rockers is not what lubricates the tappets and camshaft.  However, I
do agree it's a good thing to occasionally check oil flow to the rockers,
and if it's found to be lacking, disassemble and clean the rocker shaft and
rockers.

> I have purchased a oil pump rebuilding kit for my
> oil pump as
> part of my engine rebuild. I wonder if it would be worth it to
> have somebody
> test the relative hardness of my replacement parts?

Given all the grief that others have had, IMO yes, it's worthwhile.
However, the factory manual wasn't kidding when it said oil pumps last
almost forever, so I wouldn't rebuild it unless it's outside the specs given
in the manual (and lapping won't fix it).

Also, be certain to check the end clearance when rebuilding.  The book
procedure is to lap down the body to compensate for rotor wear, so a new
rotor and/or gear may well be too tight.  You can either lap them down to
match, or go ahead and replace the pump.

> I am also considering a
> mild cam and new tappets for my rebuild. Part of this addition is that I
> assume the new cam and tappets will be hardened and not worn as I
> am sure my original part are.
> Just to want this thing to hold together!

Don't know if that's still his advice, but not too many years ago Ken
Gillanders told me it was better to have my old lifters refaced, than to buy
new ones. See
www.linkline.com/personal/koblinger/trsc/tech%20articles/tappets.htm
for an article he wrote on the subject.

Last I heard, he was selling sleeves to allow the use of tappets from
another engine.

Randall