Re: My TR6 - Runs For 20 Minutes Then....(a little longish)

To: Randall Young <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: My TR6 - Runs For 20 Minutes Then....(a little longish)
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 09:10:36 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Randall Young wrote:

> > fuel pump is electric Carter #P4070 72gpm
>
> That has got to be a typo ... or do you really have a pump capable of
> emptying the tank in 10 seconds ???

Probably GPH!  That is how my Holly pump is rated.

> > fuel filter is between tank & pump;
>
> That would be my choice for culprit.  Have you tried bypassing the filter ?
> I believe the Carter is a rotary vane type, and they are somewhat sensitive
> to restriction on the input.  Something in the back of my head wants to say
> the Carters also don't like "no flow" conditions and are best used with a
> bleed line back to the tank, but I could be thinking of something else.

Be careful of using some types of electric pumps with tanks that have a
syphon feed out the top.  I found that my Holly pump likes a constant
feed of fuel and the priming action required to get the fuel from the
tank to the pump is too much to get the fuel started.  So I had to
modify the Spitfire 1500 tank to a resemble the gravity feed Mk1 tank
that it replaced.  Worked fine after that. (Albeit, very noisy).

Joe