oil pump priming

To: ms6453@optonline.net
Subject: oil pump priming
From: jim wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 10:17:47 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mitch,
I did this just lately and was able to get up to 70 pounds, as read on the
original gauge. I think my drill may have been going faster, but at some speed
I could quite clearly feel the relief valve opening and the drill would speed
up due to the reduced resistance.
Because of this I think my old gauge may not be too far off.
This was not a TR6, but still I think it's a good data point.
Oh yes also after doing it for quite a while, oil did begin to seep out the
holes in the rocker arms. Several were blocked; stirring a piece of 0.023" mig
wire around in each hole got oil flowing about evenly from all of them.
Jim Wallace
Ottawa, ON
=======================================
Just finishing up on a rebuild & went to prime the oil pump & motor by
turning the oil pump shaft with a drill. I made a simple shaft to fit
over the oil pump tip at the bottom of the distributor hole. The drill
is turning at about 800rpm, any faster and oil spills out of the hole. I
can only get about 19lbs on the gauge. The drill turns in a counter
clockwise direction. Does this sound like the pressure should be higher.

- --
Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.
75 TR6