TR3 etc rear crank seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 etc rear crank seal
From: Wallaces <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 08:02:18 +0000
A many of you are tired of hearing by now I also own some of the Ferguson
tractors with the similar engines to the TR2/3/4. (Mine are circa 1952
models; the series started in 1948 with an engine derived from the Standard
Vanguard.)
The crank, while similar in many respects (you can use TR3 main and conrod
bearings for example), utilizes a rubber seal at the rear rather than the
aluminum scroll type.
This would lead me to believe that the designers of the car saw the
aluminum type as an improvement over the rubber type. After all they could
have just left it alone.
And BTW the rubber seals on the tractors are prone to leaking....
Regards,
Jim