handicapped

To: John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@eastlink.ca>
Subject: handicapped
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 10:51:27 -0400
Cc: triumph net <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h4LEtnPk000589
Message text written by John Vandermeulen
>I drive a '67 TR4A-irs, and enjoy it much.  The problem is that the car
is so low, that I can not get up out of it anymore without help.  I have
a neuro-muscular ailment that has weakened the legs (and arms) sothat I
can not stand up from a deep crouch.  Last year I was able to simply
swing my legs out, and then lift myself with my arms on the door and
rear fender until I was far enough up sothat my legs could do the rest
of the way up.  Now I can not.

I have looked at several possible solutions, including a spring or
piston-loaded folding seat.  Is there any knowledge or experience with
this problem on the list?
John Vandermeulen
Oakfield, Nova Scotia
<

I don't know anything specific to your case but there are outfitters out
there who set up vehicles for folks who need help like this.  There are
products that enable folks who otherwise could not drive to do so and some
of these things include seat lifts and other similar products. They may
have something that will suit your purpose.  The tough part hese is there
isn't much extra room in a TR4 but check it out, you never know 'til you
ask.

I know of a local outfit that set up an over-the-road tractor-trailer
vehicle with a wheel chair lift so that a fellow paralized from the waist
down could go back to work as a truck driver.  Nice truck.  And I once
drove a van set up with a joystick with servo motors on the pedals and
steering wheel.  Talk about wierd.

Cheers and good luck

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO