TR4 overheating

To: Manolet Ramos <MARamos@smart.com.ph>
Subject: TR4 overheating
From: "James R. Holekamp" <jholekamp@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:13:16 -0500
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Greetings Manolet,

I have a '64 TR4 which I've owned since '67.  I bought the car in
Germany while serving in the US Army and subsequently brought it back to
the US (Atlanta, Georgia). Frankly, in the summer climate of Georgia
(South East US) the car overheated when stopped by traffic, when it was
almost new.  I think the summer climate of Georgia might be similar to
that in the Philippines - rather hot and humid.  This problem was 100%
solved when the car was disassembled & restored in the middle '90s by
recoring the radiator with a modern, high efficiency 4 row radiator core
- using the standard fan arrangement.

Your symptoms (high engine temp at speed) also lead me to the radiator
intake air duct (stanpart # 850435) - is this in place on your car? This
duct, in front of the radiator, was made of pressed fiberboard and tends
to disintegrate and disappear over time, but is very important to the
engine cooling system, since it directs and channels air to/through the
radiator. I've seen nice replacements made up from light aluminum sheet,
although reproduction ducts are available.

Has your TR4 always been in the Philippines?  Does it have a heater?  A
back up tactic to reduce engine temp on a TR4 with a cockpit heater is
to open the heater valve and direct coolant through the heater & run the
heater fan - uncomfortable for the driver / passenger but nice for the
engine.

I spent a lot of time working in SE Asia and the Philippines (I was
based and had a flat in Singapore) in the '80s & '90s.  What route did
your old car group take from Manila?

brgds, Jay

'64 TR4 CT38895LO
Wheaton, IL