More on TR3 transmission problem

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: More on TR3 transmission problem
From: "Dale" <dalfo@dslextreme.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 18:37:58 -0700
I took your suggestion and disassembled the transmission.  Not a bad job.

I isolated the cause of the inability to shift into second gear.

It seems when you attempt to shift to second, the first gear synchro
hub moves forward about 0.060" to engage the synchro cup. But this
movement causes the interlock plunger and ball to engage the 1st
gear synchro sleeve, thus preventing it from moving into second gear.

The float measurements check out fine.

The problem could be solved by removing the interlock plunger..
Not sure of the purpose of the interlock.  What's being interlocked ?

Any ideas ?

Dale
dalfo@dslextreme.com