Re: [SPIT6CGT6] Re: Really Wierd Behaviour - diaphram differences

To: <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [SPIT6CGT6] Re: Really Wierd Behaviour - diaphram differences
From: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 14:03:33 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'SPIT6CGT6@egroups.com'" <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>
Sitting in my 'box of spares' I have a few diaphragms.
The interesting point here is three of them are VERY
different material as well as thickness of the rubber.

Two are thinner, and exhibit properties closer to natural
rubber. (more pliable and shiny and soft texture.)
One is much thicker and looks/feels more like synthetic
rubber.

Now where did I acquire them? I have no idea. As to which
you have?.... if the rubber 'diaphragm's area seems like it's only
2-4 pieces of notebook paper thick and is shiny, I'd say
you have the original style (guessing here) natural rubber
diaphragms.  If the same diaphragm area is roughly 4-8 sheets thick
and actually a bit stiff (center circle won't 'twist' from the outer
rim as easily) I believe you have the later aftermarket, typical
crappo Chinese synthetic rubber ones commonly sold these days.

Which is best?..... you'll have to give me another couple of months
of testing to verify which is the better style (...see how long they
last after MY last rebuild)

If needed ... I can post a pic showing the difference in the two
on my site.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@gouldfo.com
www.teglerizer.com