Re: The NEW Italian Job

To: anabil@caltel.com, tswrace@pacbell.net, andylit@covad.net
Subject: Re: The NEW Italian Job
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 16:16:58 +0000 FILETIME=[6924E6E0:01C31AFD]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
for the 1956 Version of the "Racers" w/Kirk Douglas...roughly
>based on the life of Nuvolari,  many great race scenes and still
>available on VHS  from Amazon...you can  fast forward past the
>'lovey" stuff...Great  scene when he gets  his  F1  driving chance,
>while observing a pit  stop,  they wonder at the  speed in which it
>is  done...4  tires, gas, 4 spark plugs in "less  than 30 seconds"
>Wonder what Schumacher  would think of a 30 second pit  stop...<G>
>Many great driving scenes from actual  footage of  F1  races in the mid
>50s...

   I can't agree that the film was based on Nuvolari...

   The Flying Mantuan got his start with motorcycles. Nuvolari could wring
the maximum from whatever
   he drove, even beating cars that were more technically advanced  than
what he was driving. He
   Drove Alfas among others (Mercedes or Auto Union and MG, I think)... He
may have even driven at
   the Indy 500 back before WWII. The acclaim he recieved on his visit to
this side of the `pond was
   compared to that of the legendary opera star, Enrico Caruso when he was
here.

   Sappy script asside, "The Racers" is about the best film of its time for
a view of some of the famous
   old racing circuits before they were made "safe".

   BTW, American race driver John Fitch was technical expert and
driver/stunt driver for the film...

   GP

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)