Re: Phantom Grip Limited Slip Diff

To: darrellw@ipns.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Phantom Grip Limited Slip Diff
From: "scotts junk" <smacsjunk@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 08:51:34 -0600 FILETIME=[50CB9880:01C31A28]
hi Darrell

Well, seeing as no one with actual knowledge is stepping in here, I'll
answer :-) This topic went around the local autox list without clear
reesolution; good points: cheap, does seem to provide traction control,
relatively simple to install; bad points: puts a lot of force on the spider
gears, may require tweaking (ie changing internal springs) to work
effectively. The "force on the spider gears" is the one I'm a bit concerned
about - for cars with fairly robust diffs (Honda, VW), the risk appears to
be acceptable to many owners; unfortunately the Spit/GT6 diff is nutoriously
fragile so I've decided to forgo the experiment and so can't say. TR4/5/6
diff is stronger and may be OK. My suggestion would be to contact the
manufacturer (or local distributor, I see a couple in WA) and ask if they
could supply a few contacts that have installed the unit in a Triumph.
Please let us know how this works out.

cheers
Scott