RE: Phantom Grip Limited Slip Diff

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Phantom Grip Limited Slip Diff
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 13:02:18 -0700 FILETIME=[B92010C0:01C31A53]
> This topic went around the local autox list without clear
> reesolution; good points: cheap, does seem to provide traction control,
> relatively simple to install; bad points: puts a lot of force on
> the spider
> gears, may require tweaking (ie changing internal springs) to work
> effectively. The "force on the spider gears" is the one I'm a bit
> concerned
> about - for cars with fairly robust diffs (Honda, VW), the risk
> appears to
> be acceptable to many owners; unfortunately the Spit/GT6 diff is
> nutoriously
> fragile so I've decided to forgo the experiment and so can't say.

I've no first-hand experience, but from the conversations on other lists,
I'd say the Phantom Grip doesn't significantly increase the chances of
breaking something even in a "notoriously fragile" diff ... but it does
significantly reduce it's lifetime.  For a racer, that's certainly NBD, but
it might give one pause before using it on the street.

I don't know if it's still true, but Jerry Alford posted on last September
that he was the only dealer offering the Phantom Grip for Triumphs.  He put
one in his F Production Spitfire and reported being quite pleased with it.
"... after racing
this car for 10 years with a Detroit locker & locked diff's I didn't notice
any performance change except the smoothness."

You can contact him at :
Jerry Alford
Union Jac's
909-397-7512
unionjacs@aol.com

NFI, but he's a friend and fellow club member.
Randall