Really wierd behaviour

To: David Templeton <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: Really wierd behaviour
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 08:34:53 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "'SPIT6CGT6@egroups.com'" <SPIT6CGT6@egroups.com> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h4ECc1KQ011013
Message text written by David Templeton
>Tonight, the wife and I tried to take the Spitfire to our car club
meeting.
We got down the road and she ( the car that is :-) ), wouldn't rev higher
than 3500rpm and there was no power. When I let her idle at the lights she
just puttered and stopped. I just had her out about 4 days ago and
everything was fine. I checked the rotor and nothing unusual, the plugs
looked okay. I am wondering if it could be a fuel starvation due to a
clogged filter? Would I see this kind of behaviour? Where else can I look?
<

Dave,  check the easy things first.  That's my motto.  I only wish I'd
follow it sometimes.

It is possible that the tank vent is blocked and you are developing a
vacuum in the tank.  To check this, open the filler cap.   (Now wasn't that
easy?)

That didn't work?  Oh well, no great loss.  Could it be a clogged fuel
line?  One neat way to check that is to get some extra fuel line and a gas
can and a plug.  Disconnect and plug the fuel line from the tank at the
pump and connect your new line and run it to the gas can and test drive.

Still acting up?  Maybe it's the pump.  An electric fuel pump is a handy
thing to have around the garage for general purposes.  If you have one,
plumb it in in place of the stock pump and test drive.

You have now eliminated the entire fuel system and if you still have
problems it is likely the carbs.

Good luck

Dave Massey
57 TR3 (BTDT with the buggered fuel pump, clogged tank, fuel line)
71 TR6 (BTDT with fuel pump.  I now have an electric one)
80 TR8 (I didn't want to fight fuel problems on this one so it has a
freshly cleaned and lined tank, new pump, new hoses, and thoroughly cleaned
hard lines.  20,000+ miles and no worries, mate)