RE: TR4 Rocks

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Rocks
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 20:09:38 -0700
>     -The oil pressure gauge stayed on the far right for the first
> few miles,
> then finally settled back at 50+.

My last rebuilt TR3 motor did this, apparently with all the clearances tight
and cold 40 weight oil, the pressure relief could not flow enough to keep
the pressure down.  I switched to lighter weight oil for about the first
10,000 miles, which solved the problem.

Modern oils don't seem to have the problem as badly, but back then, the
viscosity improver in multi-weight oil always seemed to break down in just a
few thousand miles.  So, I always ran straight-weight oil.

>     - The live axle sure is lively. Come around a corner and hit
> a bump and we do jump around.

If you haven't already, it might be worth disassembling, cleaning and
lubricating the rear springs.  It sure made a big difference in my TR3A.
Replacing the broken main leaves no doubt helped too !

Randall