TR4 Rocks

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Rocks
From: John Howard <trjhhow7@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 20:45:00 -0400
Well folks, the car is on the road. First long road test today, and CT 35800
runs quick and true. Some may recall that I bought this as an undriveable
heap four years ago, did a total engine rebuild, new or rebuilt brakes,
front and rear suspension, and rebuilt carbs (Strombergs), fuel pump,
starter, generator, etc etc. A mild cam, oversized pistons, and a shaved
head. The best part of the final result is the engine: quick and responsive,
with great pull in the middle speeds.

A few curious things:
    -The oil pressure gauge stayed on the far right for the first few miles,
then finally settled back at 50+. All other gauges are reading sensibly.
    - The steering is extremely light when under way, but the car runs true
without shudder.
    - OD doesnt yet work..the solenoid is clicking, but no engagement. I
haven't yet done a complete inspection. This is the mystery transmission
that came as an extra, so I guess I'm lucky the gearbox is sound.
    - There seem to be no rattles or squeaks, save for the darn doors.
Despite your help a few weeks ago, they are still not right. More fussing to
do.
    - The live axle sure is lively. Come around a corner and hit a bump and
we do jump around.

This is no show winner,  but it sure is fun to drive. And no regrets from
having sold the long-owned TR6. I think the 4 is the better car!

My thanks to a great many of you for your help along the way. I'd still be
many months, if not years, away, were it not for your collective
encouragement and advice.

Anyone from around here driving to Armagh in August?
John Howard, 64 TR4
Jamestown, RI