buying/selling cars on eBay (no 6pack content)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: buying/selling cars on eBay (no 6pack content)
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 14:22:16 -0500
My apologies for taking things off-topic, however, this is my best source of
unbiased car-related advice.  I still haven't worked up the nerve to buy or
sell a car on ebay, however, I have a car to sell, and I'm thinking ebay may
be the place.

I recently bought a Mini Cooper S (which I love - just turned 1200 miles so
I can now wind it beyond 4500 rpm :-).  This left us with a 2000 VW Beetle
GLX to sell.  Unfortunately, before we could sell the dang thing our 19 year
old son got in a bad accident with it.  It's been in the shop since
February.  Lots of new sheet metal and structural bits, new engine,
etc. *sigh* I expect it to return home in the next few days.  Don't get me
started about why our insurance didn't total the car but they didn't.  On
the plus side, it should look like new.

I can do the standard thing and place ads in the Chicago area papers to see
what happens, probably a lot of "thanks, but no thanks" responses when I
answer, "yes it was in a serious accident ...".  I was wondering if people
thought a car like that would be "safe" to sell on ebay.  By "safe" I mean
will a car with its history just turn into a cancelled sale for me?  I'm an
honest fellow, so I'll be up front about what the car's been through, and
I'll probably wind up taking a small bath on the car.

Do people routinely use escrow services or other means to help protect buyer
and seller when selling cars on ebay?  What about cars with a known history
of accident damage?

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro