Re: To insulate on not...that is the question!

To: TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: To insulate on not...that is the question!
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 14:05:54 -0400
Cc: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h47I8DbH003476
Message text written by Barry Schwartz:
> Now that the house and detached 4 car Triumph domicile is FINALLY under
> construction it has come to my attention that we can at this time,
insulate
> said Triumph repository - Now here in San Diego the weather only gets
> "extreme" a couple of times a year.  Possibly one month in the summer it
> gets hot (above or near 100) and in the winter it may dip down to just
> below freezing for a week or so.  Most of the time it's somewhere around
> the 70's.  Would it seem worth it from those whom have BTDT to insulate
the
> "garage" as it were.  This structure will be detached from the house, set
> back about 28 feet, and will not be air conditioned or heated - the
> additional cost to insulate would be around $900
> Any comments or is that like asking if the Pope is catholic??
> bschwart@pacbell.net
<

Insulation in San Diego?  The worlds most perfect climate?  Talk about an
oxymoron.  Spend the money on something more usable.  Like 300 static cling
list decals.

There are two reasons to insulate.  One is to maintain the temperature
inside different from the outside and in your case, if you can stand down
the few weeks per year that the weather is not comfortable then there's no
seed for that.

The other reason is to protect against humidity issues.  Here in the
midwest a cold snap will chill the concrete floor.  If the cold snap is
quickly followed by a warm front which are usually from the humid south the
cold concrete will condense water out of the air causing a very high
humidity condition.

But we are talking San Diego here.  Come on.

Just my opinion.

Dave

P.S. Hey Joe, how many decals do you have?