Oil Pressure Idiot light on '76 TR6

To: "Eric Conrad" <conrade2@MSN.COM>
Subject: Oil Pressure Idiot light on '76 TR6
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 14:25:03 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h47IRAbH004594
Message text written by "Eric Conrad"
>I pulled my '76 TR6 out of the garage for a much needed run to my local
Triumph Club Board meeting last night.  When I connected the battery (I
leave it disconnected during prolonged storage), and before I put the key
in
the ignition, the oil pressure idiot light was illuminated.  I put the key
in the ignition, the IGN light turned on.  Once the engine was started,
both
lights went out.  I had oil pressure on the gauge, so all was well and I
wasn't concerned.

Upon pulling into the parking space at the meeting, I turned the '6 off,
and
the oil pressure light turned on again.  I obviously have an open circuit.
Now, I check the oil pressure switch on the block and pull the white /
purple wire that goes to the electric cutoff valve that resides under the
carbon canister.  The oil light goes off, and no longer comes on.

Question is:  I'm guessing that my cutoff valve was stuck, or was / is
faulty.  Perhaps a winter layover caused the problem.  Anyone want to chime
in with other thoughts on the problem?
<

No, I'm thinking it's the oil pressure switch.  It sounds like the power to
the valve is finding a path through the switch to the oil pressure light
and the current is finding a path to ground through the rest of the white
wire circuit.

I had an oil pressure switch fail as a three wire jumper.  This would not
be too bad on a TR6.  It would cause the oil light to stay on when the
engine is running and keep the anti-run-on valve active when the key is
off.  But this was on the TR8 and the result was it activated the starter
as soon as the key was switched to ON.

So if you have a volt meter check out the oil pressure switch.  I'll bet
you have continuity between the oil light circuit and the valve circuit
(you should never have continuity between these two terminals).

Cheers and good luck

Dave Massey
71 TR6