TR3 Rod Caps

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Rod Caps
From: bbrewer@qnet.com -bs
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 18:33:13 GMT
Cc: bbrewer@qnet.com
     When bolting the rod caps back on the connecting rods, I hear that the
current locking tabs that are available are too soft and you can't get an
accurate torque because they mush. Is that true?
     My car had two rod caps with lockwashers and two with metal locking tabs.
Not real balanced...
     Some folks say to torque them without washers and use Locktite.
     Some say torque and no-Locktite.
     My gut feeling says either use the new locking tabs as original or
Locktite and a flat washer to avoid galling.
     Anyone have any realistic experience on this?
     Do torque settings change when using Locktite?
     TIA,

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi,
California