Cleaning Out Wet Liner Block

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cleaning Out Wet Liner Block
From: bbrewer@qnet.com -bs
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 18:27:07 GMT
Cc: bbrewer@qnet.com;
     I have my TR3 block disassembled and am looking at the water jackets where
the wet liners go. I have all of the large scale out, but there is still a lot
of surface corrosion. The DPO used some sort of sealant to seal the liners in
as well (grrrr, I knew those liners were tough to get out).
     How important is it to completely derust the water jacket area? Is just
giving a general scraping and wirebrushing a good enough prep as long as
nothing is loose to fall on the figure-of-8 seating area?
     Any tricks to derusing the water jacket area? My LBC bud wants me to
sandblast it, but I am concerned about pitting the figure-of-8 seating area. I
was going to use a wire brush on the end of an electric drill.
     Supposing a guy got the wet liner area pretty well derusted. Could he
paint the inside of the wet liner area with POR15 so that in 8 or 10 years when
he is back inside, it won't be all corroded up again?
     TIA,

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi,
California