RE: Head retorque

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Head retorque
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 07:23:14 -0700
> Randall Young wrote :
>
> > ISTR the TR2 factory workshop manual says to retorque cold @ 500
> > miles, but I don't have it handy to check.

Mike Kitchener replied :
> Randall ,
> I just checked an original Triumph publication "Practical hints
> for the maintenance of the
> Triumph TR3" Page 30 "Cylinder head nuts"
>
> After the first 1000 miles check the cylinder head for tightness
> whilst the engine is hot ,
> in the order shown on Fig 24 .
>
> This is NOT the workshop manual and no torque figures are given !!

I just checked the factory workshop manual, on the same page it says to
recheck the head nut torque with the engine cold; and also to check it after
500 miles hot.  However, the torque value on the specifications page has a
note "check when cold".  I found the same value in several places, all
specify or imply cold.

No wonder we're confused <g>

My personal experience has been that the 'tractor motor' is easy to keep
sealed, as long as the liner height is right.  I've even reused head gaskets
on occasion and gotten away with it.  If however, the liner height isn't
right, no amount of retorqueing, magic sealant, antiseize, lubricant, new
studs, new nuts, etc. will keep it sealed.

Randall