RE: Skirt/wall clearance??

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Skirt/wall clearance??
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:07:42 -0800
> My question is, if all is so well why when I carry out the
> instruction of both Haynes and Factory and see if .014in feeler gauge
> fits between piston skirt and liner wall

John, you've lost me here.  The factory specification for new clearance is
.0047 to .0054, measured at the top of the skirt (page B2).  The wear limit
is given as .007" (page B19).  These measurements are total clearance, ie
measured with the piston against one side of the bore, not centered.

Where do you see .014" ?

> it does, as does a few sizes
> above this, so confused by this I moved the piston, with one ring
> still on to keep it centered, to the top of the bore, where there is
> no ware present and still the .014in feeler slid between the two. Am
> I missing something basic here?,

One possible point of confusion is that the 'skirt' does not start until
some distance below the bottom ring.  The 'head' of the piston is quite a
bit smaller than the skirt.  Thus, it's not possible to check skirt
clearance with a ring installed (unless you either do it from the bottom, or
invert the piston in the bore).

Randall