Skirt/wall clearance??

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Skirt/wall clearance??
From: John Gillis <jgillis@gemini.tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:33:59 +0000
Here's the story; I was quite sure that I could reuse my piston/liner
set from my motor, due to a. the condition of the bores, which showed
minimum ware with a very small lip at the top of the stroke, also
measurements of the bore showed very little difference between top
and bottom b. the pistons, identical to the ones used in the photos
of the Haynes Manual for the TR 2 to 4 (4 ring AE items) were in
sound condition and showed no signs of blowing past the rings,
although light scoring on the thrust side, c. the PO told me when he
bought the car the guy he bought it from had replaced the liners and
pistons, the PO had never run the car so that seemed to fit with the
level of ware in this area compared with the crank which was 30thou.
under and knackered.
My question is, if all is so well why when I carry out the
instruction of both Haynes and Factory and see if .014in feeler gauge
fits between piston skirt and liner wall it does, as does a few sizes
above this, so confused by this I moved the piston, with one ring
still on to keep it centered, to the top of the bore, where there is
no ware present and still the .014in feeler slid between the two. Am
I missing something basic here?, I have already acquired a new set of
rings for this set (83mm) and was hoping to glaze bust the bores and
I'd be in business, something must be amiss if the clearance is too
big even where there is no ware, thanks in advance John