Re: Alternatives for square nut cages for attaching body panels

To: KGTR3b@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternatives for square nut cages for attaching body panels
From: BPAULTR3@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 00:22:30 EST
In a message dated 10/27/2002 5:44:39 PM Mountain Standard Time,
KGTR3b@aol.com writes:

<<   Rusted bolts are
 everywhere, Most of the square nut cages either deteriorate while I'm trying
 to get the bolt off or the bolt simply snaps.  I've managed to get the
apron,
 and front RH wing and door off.   In thinking how I am going to put it back
 together, has anyone thought of an alternative to the square nut cage and
 7/16 bolt.   I've been told that square 7/16 inch bolts are hard to come by
 at the local hardware.  I've also been advised to try stainless.  Any info
 would be helpful >>

Having just gone through this with a 61 TR4 and now the 55 TR2 I empathize
with you.  I'm trying to keep it all exact original on the TR2. When removing
screws/bolts from caged nuts if you can grip the cage, with the nut inside of
course, in a vice grip before you start twisting you can often save the cage
and nut. If the screwheads strip out insid the trunk, i've had luck filing or
grinding a flat on two sides of the screw head and wrenching them off. Soak
generously with PB Blaster and let sit a few days.  I have also had some luck
salvaging  solid cages from stripped and or broken screws by breaking the
weld and lifting only one corner of the cage removing the broken bits through
that opening, then replacing with a new nut and re crimping the cage then
spot welding the cage.  Complete replacement of the cage and nut is
preferrable though. Moss sells both the cage and nut new.  They really are
not too hard to replace after the fenders are completely removed unless the
metal surrounding is rotted away.
Bob Paul
corraels NM