Re: 71'GT6 Transmission Options?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 71'GT6 Transmission Options?
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 17:55:53 -0500
On 27 Oct 2002 at 14:41, Allen J. Filson wrote:
> overdrive,.. I'm not much looking forward to adding that quirky piece of
> equipment into the drive line even if I can cruise at higher MPH with
> lower RPM's.

I can't offer any OD advice for a GT6 but I can offer the following
two comments.

First, I've had OD on my Spitfire for most of the 15 years I've owned
the car.  I've had no trouble with it (knock on wooden dashboard,
bonk! bonk!) and I wouldn't want to do without it.  The things that
make it (the later model, anyway) misbehave are pretty easy to
address in most cases.  Admittedly the Spitfire engine has to work a
lot harder than a GT6 engine.

Secondly, in US cars that came from the factory with OD, the diff was
higher numbered (lower geared) compared to the non-OD cars.  Having
OD didn't give you lower rpms at speed; rather, it gave you lower
gears through the normal shifting range, with OD to make up for it at
high speed.  Of course, if you're making your own conversion you can
do whatever you want, but you may have to solve a speedometer issue.
--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com