RE: 5 1/2 wheels on a TR3?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 5 1/2 wheels on a TR3?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:05:01 -0700
> Listers,
> As many of you know ;-), there is a set of Al wheels on ebay. There
> are 5 1/2 inches wide however, and I was wondering if they would fit
> on a TR3.
> BTW, I could not find the bold pattern in the Standard shop manual
> and measuring a spare steel wheel I have only confused me. In other
> words I did not know how to do it...
>
> Any clue?

Francois, I can't answer your question, but I can offer some clues :

The bolt pattern for all TR2-6 is four bolts on a 4.5" circle.  So, the
wheels on eBay should at least go on the studs.

5.5" wheel width is not a problem, as I'm using 5.5" TR6 wheels on my TR3A,
they fit just fine (if you don't go overboard on tire size).

However, backspacing may be an issue, the TR6 wheels have a relatively small
backspacing (meaning the wheels are further out from the car), while the
ones on eBay would seem to have a fairly large backspacing, more suitable
for a FWD car.  From the seller's comment about spacers, I suspect he is
aware of this problem.  And while spacers would work, they would require
longer studs and are inherently weaker.

One other thing to keep in mind, like most aftermarket alloy wheels, the
ones on eBay require special lug nuts.  They don't seem to be included, and
may be difficult/expensive to buy.

Randall