RE: Oil guage disassembly

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil guage disassembly
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:33:11 -0700
> Hi all.  I have removed the gauges, switches and center dash panel from my
> TR3B for cleaning/repainting over the winter.  How do I take apart the oil
> pressure gauge?  On the back of the gauge there is a round sleeve
> where the
> oil line connects. It has two groves in it but I have not been
> able to turn
> it.  Before I break anything, I thought I would ask for the
> proper procedure.

If you just want to clean the face, needle and glass, I'd recommend leaving
the nut in back alone.  Removing it has a definite potential to damage the
gauge, as the only thing locating the movement inside the housing is a
square section resting in the square dimple in the housing.  If you do need
to remove the face (don't unless you have to), IMO you're less likely to
damage things by gently lifting the needle to let the face slip off.  The
needle will bend, leave it bent until you replace the face.

Randall