re: UPS warning

To: wallaces@superaje.com, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: UPS warning
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 15:57:53 -0600
Jim,
I've had a couple of bad experiences with UPS shipping to me in Calgary
as well. On the one occasion I refused to pay any of their brokerage
fees as they came to more the the package was worth in the first place
in the end they relented after about 10 phone calls to St. John's and
released my Harbor Freight sand blast cabinet to me with just a GST
charge. On another occasion I was the winning bidder for a Monza exhaust
on E-Bay the winning bid was $20.00US the shipper put the original
retail value for the item on the UPS shipping label so I ended up paying
a brokerage fee and GST on a $229.00US exhaust that was really only a
$20.00US exhaust.
On all TR items you have shipped to you in Canada have the shipper
write PARTS FOR CAR OVER 25 YEARS OLD on the customs form and state
TARIFF CODE 2441 that way you aren't charged duty but you still pay GST
and in your case PST.
In my experience the Postal service is usually faster than UPS ground
and you only pay a flat $5.00CAD brokerage fee if you go to UPS's web
site you can download their table of charges for brokerage fees it is
based on a % of the item value the lower the value the higher the %. In
my business I ship Fedex or Postal service for all my cross border
packages UPS Canada are criminal in their charges and the fact that they
aren't up front with them. One other thing you can have the shipper
check the box that allows you to broker the package yourself it's a bit
of a hassle in that when the package arrives at the depot you go pick up
the paper work then take it to Canada Customs pay the charges for GST,
etc. they stamp the documents and then UPS can release your package to
you with no brokerage fee.

Doug Hamilton
1960 Triumph TR3
1963 Fiat Cabriolet