RE: valve adjustment

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: valve adjustment
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:03:34 -0700
> can anyone tell me if its best to set rocker clearance
> when engine is cold or hot. can't find any mention in
> any of my manuals.

AFAIK, Triumph (like most car makers) always gave valve specs cold.  If you
can find a hot spec, use it; but if it's not specified, the safe assumption
is that it's for a cold engine.

As Mike Porter pointed out, the reason for the cold spec probably has more
to do with manufacturing processes than being 'best' ... they certainly
wouldn't want to assemble the engine and run it, then disassemble it to set
the valves again ...

Randall