Differential re-install tips?

To: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: Differential re-install tips?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:39:58 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g9E2e7Uv007026
Message text written by Hugh Fader
>I've been wrestling with my TR6 differential for the last couple of hours.
It doesn't seem to want to go into place. I have the standard exhaust still
in place. It came out with a bit of effort, but not this bad. Any tips on
how to get this back in place? I forget who, maybe Dave or Dick, said they
had done this many times.
<

Hugh, I usually (always) use a jack and a block of wood to lift it into
place.  Rool the thing over a bit to lift the side that goes over the
exhaust so it goes in first and then raise the whole thing in.  Sometimes I
have to put the nuts and washers on the front mounts without the lower
rubber bushes and then tackle the rears.  After everything is started you
can take one nut off at a time and install the missing hardware.

But on the whole it should just slide into place once you get past the
exhaust.

Dave