Re: Rusted Nuts and Bolts

To: <KGTR3b@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Rusted Nuts and Bolts
From: "jack williams" <jackandangie@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 21:53:13 -0500
Cc: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
It all depends on where they are, but here's what usually works for me.
First, get a really good penetrant like PB blaster. Use a grinder or dremel
or whatever to make the top of the broken bolt as flat as possible. Use a
good center punch to put a really good dimple in the center of the bolt.
Drill the bolt with as large a bit as possible without getting into the
threads. Be sure you drill straight! Get a good set of Square Ease outs. I
have never ever had any luck with the ones that look like a drill bit on
steroids. This is no time to buy cheap tools, get the best you can buy. If
you're lucky, the bolt is not bottomed in the hole. If you can tell that it
isn't, then drill through it. That way you can squirt blaster into the
inside of the hole and lube from the backside also. Let it sit for a while
and re-lube it. Sometimes it helps to give it some taps every once in a
while to help the oil penetrate better. Use the largest Ease Out possible
and put a wrench on it, give it some tension and tap on the top at the same
time with a hammer. I have yet to have this method fail, but there's always
a first.

Good luck,
Jack Williams