Re: Herald, rim and tire questions

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Herald, rim and tire questions
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 15:27:42 +0100
Hi Javier
The 3.5 inch rims should have 145 tyres as standard, 155 as a maximum
probably. The 4.5 inch rims will take a  175/70 quite comfortably, this is
what I ran on my estate for years, no fouling of the body but on full lock
they did rub the lower wishbone not really a problem as if you use full lock
at more than 5MPH you will probably remove the tyres anyway! You want to go
to the 70 profile to retain the circumference somewhere near that of the 155
to keep the speedo correct.
Radial ply versus cross ply tyres. I would fit radials for several reasons,
road holding, comfort and not least their reluctance to tramline! Cross ply
tyres have a habit of following the depression worn into the highway by
HGV's, they will also follow tramlines very well if there are any in the
street. I have heard people say that it took positive effort to persuade the
car fitted with crossplies to leave tramlines, and that you would end up in
the depot if you let go of the wheel!
Fact or myth, you may be able to answer that question if you buy them! ;-)
Make of tyre, probably down to feedback from local users, with something as
safety orientated as tyres I would say get the best forget whether they look
period or not unless you are doing concours, in which case the tyre will not
mater as you are unlikely to drive much with a concours car!
Graham.