Re: few more new Spit owner questions

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: few more new Spit owner questions
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 20:51:24 -0400
On 9 Oct 2002 at 10:17, dwillner@icontech.com wrote:

> The rubber plugs for under the rocker panel and the door jambs,
> anyone know of a source/alternative?

Don't know.  Could use a few myself but never worried about it.  If
you do get water in there, you also want it to be able to air out.

> How are the 1980 "rubber" bumpers maintained/restored.

Don't know this either.  Never worried about it.  My Spitfire will
never will a concourse award...

> Where can I find the paint formula for Carmine red?

Like Greecian Formula 16, only different?

> Last one, the owners manual (from 1999-1999) showed a flexible
> chrome map light in the passenger side glove box area...  The
> photo also showed a speaker mounted on the right side on the
> glovebox, I'm assuming this was from the factory/dealer?

I always assumed the map light was standard but dealer-installed.  It
isn't a flexible mount though.  Rather, it has two elbow joints at a
90 degree angle from each other, with click detents at 0, 45, 90,
135, and 180 degrees.  One joint is near the mount, the other is
where the light itself attaches to the short shaft.  The inner joint
acts as a switch, breaking the ground contact when it is pushed up to
0 or 180 degree position.  These lights used to available from places
like JCWhitney.

The speaker in the glovebox was also probably dealer-installed.  If
you want one for completeness, you can have mine.  It looks like it
would be useful strictly for an old-sound AM radio, certainly not
modern hi-fi!

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com