Re: restoration delimma for original, unmolested TR6 - longish post

To: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
Subject: Re: restoration delimma for original, unmolested TR6 - longish post
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 19:34:08 EDT
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Greg,
I own several TR's and a few Spitfires with most being restored to original.
I personally find it to be very satisfying to restore or leave them "as they
were."  I do believe that we have a responsibility to keep a good example
original if we can.  I also believe that they were fine cars for the price as
original and do not need to be modified to be driven and enjoyed.  If I want
to go real fast I just jump in my Audi TT 225 Quattro Roaster. This being
said I have no problems putting in upgrades like urethane bushings, Koni
shocks, stainless exhausts etc.  This is more of a preservation issue and I
like to restore them once and be done. Generally I would draw the line at
motor mods since IMHO and experience this may cause more trouble and cost
more money than it is worth.  Again TR's were good cars in stock form.

Of course I did say "most." I have a 70 Spitfire that was a pretty good
original car to start, but I decided to have some fun and modify the heck out
of it. However being true to the marque I did so with period equipment using
only modifications that could have been accomplished with parts available
back in 1970, using the factory competition manual as my guide. I am also
currently working on building a GT6+ from two parts cars were getting back to
original would be darn near impossible.  This Triumph is and will be a "no
rules" restoration even to the point of fitting Toyota AC since I know GT6's
are Hot.  Both of these Triumphs are a lot of fun too.  So in my experience
it really does come down to whatever floats your boat, and the car you have
to start with.  If you are having doubts about altering your 76 TR6 you have
probably made your choice already.  Remember you have a fine example of the
last year of the Last of the Hairy Chested Sportscars.  I know, I always
wanted to play with Richard Good's performance parts too.  Just have to find
the right TR to hang them on.

Cheers,
Darrell Floyd
62 TR4