Re: National Triumph Club

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: National Triumph Club
From: "David Brister" <david.brister@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 19:32:27 +0200
I would guess that the TR Register with it's highly organised structure of
Central Committee barnching out to local groups with their own leaders, a
programme of local and national events and an excellent magazine detailing
all these activities future present and past probably absorbs the great
majority of TR owners. For most of us the subscription of about #30 a year
is enough to be going on with!

IIt would be interesting to know the number of members in the TSSC and the
TR Register. Whereas the TR Register is as it's name implies only for TR
owners, (in fact a few years back there was a big kerfuffle in the club as
to whether TR7 and 8 owners were eligible, and before that whether wind up
window cars were sufficiently TR to be allowed!!) the TSSC caters for all
Triumph cars I believe.

However in a sense all European old car owners are united in that nearly all
clubs are affiliated to the Federation of Historic Vehicle Clubs or some
such name (too lazy to look it up) which maintains a full time lobbyist in
Brussels to campaign against the more stupid absurdities proposed by  the
European Commission, such as the "End of Life" proposal and that idea that
the local authorities could seize and destroy your old car if it was,nt in
running order and so forth. We have them to thank for the fact that we can
still get leaded petrol, easy in France, more difficult in UK but still
possible.

So whatever club we belong to we in Europe must always keep the pressure on
our club reps to keep a very beady eye on those unelected jacks-in-office in
Brussels.

This is not a rant.

David Brister.
1967 TR4A