Rough idle problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rough idle problem
From: Mickylong@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 17:43:58 EDT
OK, I know when I'm over my head...
 I seem to be unable to cure the rough idle on my 72 TR6 no matter what I try
to adjust.  I've got my carbs back to where they can be adjusted but seem
unable to cure the idle problem by mixture adjustment.  Given the axiom that
most carb problems are really ignition, maybe someone can suggest something
to try here that I haven't thought of.  Here's what I'm experiencing:  rough
idle at about 1200 rpm (with intermittent popping from exhaust.) Engine dies
when idle is set lower.  Engine dies when either carb damper is lifted at
all.  Color Tune shows cylinder 1 burning blue with slight orange; cylinder 6
burning mostly orange-this is the one that does not change color during
mixture adjustment.  Plugs show black carbon deposits after minimal runtime
which I've always thought indicated mixture too rich.  Timing light indicates
about 12 BTDC, but I didn't notice significant difference when resetting.
There doesn't seem to be much (if any) difference with vacuum line
disconnected and plugged.

I thought maybe I have a bad vacuum unit or thermostatic switch but I'm not
sure how to test.  Plugs and points are new and gapped appropriately and I've
also replaced the fuel pump and filter (had the parts and thought might as
well) with no change.  I keep thinking I must be missing something basic, or
at least I hope it's not something more involved.   Any thoughts would be
appreciated.

Micky Long, Atlanta
72 TR 6