Re: Tr6 timing

To: darrellw@inetarena.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tr6 timing
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 13:05:44 EDT
In a message dated 10/1/2002 10:30:36 PM EST, darrellw@inetarena.com writes:

<< So is it reasonable to keep advancing your timing until it pings, then back
 off a bit?  Or it be too advanced before it pings? >>

Darrell,

Many years ago (before electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition)
when I was learning all about cars, engines, etc. an oldtimer told me that if
wanted my TR3 to really be tuned for maximum power (after correctly setting
dwell angle i.e., point gap), keep advancing the timing until I got what he
called "border line ping" on a roadtest.  Then retard the timing ever so
slightly and presto - you're there!  Border line ping is what was described
to you earlier.....it's pinging at the very edge of excessive engine load.
In the end, your strobe light might show a degree or two more on the advanced
side...ignore the light - go with the response of the engine; it'll tell you
what's correct by the way it runs through the power band.

chip

P.S. Tuning to achieve maximum advance without ping is why most Triumph
distributors have a vernier adjustment knob on them.....check your service
manual but I think each turn is something like 1/8 degree advance or
retard....I recall exactly what it is.

Chip Krout

1976 TR6 #CF57822U - one of the last 500 built - restoration nearing
completion
1970 Spitfire Mk3 #FDU78512L - on the road and enjoying another driving
season!