Diagnosis of gearbox sound

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Diagnosis of gearbox sound
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:14:41 -0400
I have been hearing a rattling, almost jingling sound coming from the
vicinity of the gearbox. I narrowed down the conditions a bit today. It can
be heard while coasting or engine-braking at 25-35 mph. Seems to go away
when I hit the gas. The gearbox is in 3rd or 4th. The clutch is engaged or
dis-engaged. The sound starts when shifting from neutral just as resistance
is felt at the gearshift lever. It continues when the gear is fully engaged.

The gearbox is performing well as of now with no unusual behavior. Previous
owner had it rebuilt a few thousand miles ago. Anybody have any clues about
the cause? I would like to drive it into my garage for repair rather than
have it towed to my garage.

Thanks,
Hugh Fader
72 TR6