Re: TR6 sudden cut out problem

To: "Jillian Davis" <davis-tr@iafrica.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 sudden cut out problem
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:16:04 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Jillian Davis"
>I have a 1974 TR6 which is running well and then suddenly cuts out
completely -
I can drive 10 miles without a problem and then it will cut out 3 times in
2
miles - or twice in 1 mile!
 - it starts up again immediately with the key.
(In case you ask the inertia switch can't be a problem as it has been
removed).
It seems to be electrical as the cut out is complete and instant, and by
simply turning the car starts immediately.
Can anyone shed some light on what could be causing the problem?
As a lady with not too much knowledge as yet about fuel injection this is
proving a difficult problem to solve.
The TR3A is much simpler!
Has anyone else experienced the same problem?  Any helpful ideas from the
knowledgeable fuel injection people out there.
<

Jillian,

When this happens does anything else cout out?  Like wipers or turn
signals?  If so the problem may very well be the ignition switch itself.
My 71 TR6 had a dodgy ignition switch and when it cut out it would cause
the overdrive to drop our as well.  A bit of fun on the motorway since
wiggling the key would restore things but by then the exhaust system was
full of unburnt fuel.

Cheers and good luck

Dave Massey
71 TR6