Re: TR6 sudden cut out problem

To: Jillian Davis <davis-tr@iafrica.com>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 sudden cut out problem
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:57:00 -0600
Jillian Davis wrote:

> I have a 1974 TR6 which is running well and then suddenly cuts out
> completely -
> I can drive 10 miles without a problem and then it will cut out 3 times in 2
> miles - or twice in 1 mile!
>  - it starts up again immediately with the key.
> It seems to be electrical as the cut out is complete and instant, and by
> simply turning the car starts immediately.
> Can anyone shed some light on what could be causing the problem?

Jillian, though you mentioned the petrol injection system, I've only been
driving a TR for 2 1/2 years but I've taken to heart the truism that 90% of
problems are electrical, 9% are fuel, 1% are mechanical. Or that 90% of
fuel problems are electrical. A sudden failure like your described probably
isn't fuel -- fuel starvation would feature stuttering and such. This sounds
like an ignition failure. Good news is the PI TR6 electrical system likely
fails much like your TR3A would.

I'd start with: bad coil, bad ignition, bad ground strap (block), bad
ground cable (battery), and bad ground wire for coil, bad little wires
from the coil (wire broken internally, bad connection), distributor
problem....

Actually about 1 1/2 hours after I bought my TR4 and with still 1100
miles to go to reach home, my coil failed. The car got good and hot
and, in construction traffic, it just cut out. It started again, I pulled out
and drove for 30 seconds, it cut out again. Started, cut out. I called
the towing service and hauled it to a shop to get a coil. Best wishes.

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA