Silicone Brake Fluid

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Silicone Brake Fluid
From: "Jim Mills" <jmmills@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:47:30 -0700
Silicone brake fluid does not absorb water, but water will still be found in
the system. It will gather in the calipers and be totally separated from the
silicone.
Also the percentage of air that remains in the fluid does expand and contract
with temperature, which can change the pedal height, depending on the
temperature. This can be somewhat un nerving if you like to autocross your
car.
I used silicone in my 1958 TR3A for 10 years and the only real advantage that
I saw, was the paint protection. I found that I had to re kit my M/C at least
once a year, but in the last 8 years since I changed to Dot 3, the cylinder
has not been touched. The key is flush your system once a year, and the easy
bleed with 5-8 pounds will do the trick.

Jim Mills
58 TR3A
68 TR250
72 Arkley