RE: J type Overdrive

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: J type Overdrive
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:41:08 -0700
> I just picked up a rebuilt J-type overdrive. It came with the solenoid,
> adapter plate and of course the overdrive unit.
> My transmission never had an overdrive and was wondering what
> else I need to
> get it to work. As far as the switch behind the turn indicator switch...I
> was wondering if I can use a plain ole switch for the moment until I find
> one on Ebay or at a swap meet. Besides that, is there anything
> else I need?

Patrick, as Greg mentioned you need the mainshaft.  And, it has to be the
right mainshaft for the transmission you're installing the OD on.  Although
the cases are similar, the internal gearsets (including the mainshaft)
changed several times over the years.  And it does take a major teardown of
the tranny to install the new mainshaft.

As far as switches, yes you can use an ordinary toggle switch to control the
OD.  The solenoid current for a J-type is fairly low, no relay is required.
However, I strongly urge you to install a suitable lockout switch at the
same time, which may require drilling and tapping the shifter housing for
the switch.  Without the lockout switch, the OD may be severely damaged if
you forget and leave it engaged in reverse (and it's none too good for it if
you forget and leave it engaged in 1st gear).

You'll need the right-angle drive for the speedo.  Depending on what year
your car is and what year the OD came from, you may also need a different
speedo drive gear (or a different speedo head) in order to have an accurate
speedometer.  You'll also need the bracket for the rear mounts (and the
mounts themselves).

Randall