Re: J type Overdrive

To: pbitton@axess.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: J type Overdrive
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 20:28:57 +0000 FILETIME=[3511E9C0:01C24D3F]
>I just picked up a rebuilt J-type overdrive. It came with the solenoid,
>adapter plate and of course the overdrive unit.
>My transmission never had an overdrive and was wondering what else I need
>get it to work. As far as the switch behind the turn indicator switch...I
>was wondering if I can use a plain ole switch for the moment until I find

>one on Ebay or at a swap meet. Besides that, is there anything else I need?
>
>I am also contemplating if I should do it myself or send it out. At least I
>would have a warranty on the installation.
>
>Thanks,

  Did the OD come with an output shaft? You will need the proper output
  shaft for the tranny. Sorry it's not just a bolt on. You will have to
  take the tranny apart to accomplish the changeover (good time to take
  a look at those synchros and bearings). I believe the switch is still
  available from the Big 3. There may be other stuff... I'm familiar
  with doing the switch with an A type. You will need some specialized
  tools like a gear puller and circlip tool and a tool to take the
  big "C" clip at the end of the output shaft off `though I've seen it
  done with screwdrivers.

  Had I the money I would have sent it out... For me it was a "learn
  while you work" deal with my Triumph guy. It saved me a bit of cash
  and I got a peek inside the "magic box"

  Good luck,

  Greg

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)