Re: Importing a car FROM Canada

To: kai@radiohead.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Importing a car FROM Canada
From: RayAntoky@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:34:57 EDT
Hi:

I drove a TR3 home from Canada a few years back. Great car . Had overdrive
and other goodies. Sold it but that's another story. As I recall you will
have to pay duty on the value of the car. I believe I got a low bill of sale
from the seller so I paid 2.5% to customs on a low figure. Then they give you
a piece of paper that the duty is paid. Take that with the registration or
title or whatever transferable document you have. A bill of sale sometimes
will suffice. Also check the number on the title to see that it is the car's
correct VIN number. It could be an assigned number from the Canadian MVD. You
can always have it changed later but it would be nice to get it corrected in
Canada if need be. If you are not driving it probably the trucker will just
need a copy of the title or the original.

Ray Antoky
Brooklyn NY
59 TR3A