RE: TR250 Electrical Problems

Subject: RE: TR250 Electrical Problems
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:43:38 -0700
Cc: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
> I just took the battery out of the TR6 which I drove today and it
> makes no
> difference.  However, during this process I tried starting the
> TR250 with the
> lights on and the solenoid clicked twice and the lights went out.
>  Now what
> is that?  I know this battery is good because it starts the Six
> fine.  The
> 250's lights are sometimes coming on real dim then coming to life, real
> bright, all of a sudden. The positive terminal is real hot.  This
> is a weird
> one.

That's a "drop dead" clue ... you have a bad connection at the positive
battery terminal.  Take the clamp off, clean both surfaces until they are
bright, spread the clamp until it will go fully over the post. (Never beat
on the clamp, it's far too easy to break the conductor inside the battery,
which can also cause similar symptoms and problems.)  Now tighten the clamp
until it's nice and snug.  If the terminal still gets hot, the bad
connection is either inside the battery, or between the clamp and cable.

Randall