What is the caulking that was on my gearbox cover?

Subject: What is the caulking that was on my gearbox cover?
From: "Mo and Dave MacKay" <m.d.mackay@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:28:31 -0400
Because I wanted an easier way to check the gearbox oil level on my TR3A, I
replaced the original  metal gearbox cover with a 2 piece fibreglass unit.
The replacement fits OK (not great), but it lets an awful lot of heat into
the passenger compartment. After one long drive I put a a thermometer in a
bottle of water that had been laying on the floor. It read 135 degrees.

The gearbox cover is covered by insulation (like the kind used to wrap water
heaters) and carpet.

The metal gearbox cover had a tar-like caulking on most of the sealing
surfaces. Perhaps that is instrumental in keeping the heat out? What was
that substance? Nothing obvious has leapt out at me at the local auto parts
store.

Thanks for your help.

Dave MacKay
TR3A s/n 68639L(O)