RE: TR3 Steering Box End Cover and Reassembly

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3 Steering Box End Cover and Reassembly
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:07:22 -0700
> Take the cover off to get at the uppermost bearing (ball
> carrier)?

Removing the top cover won't help get to the upper bearing.  The lower
column and worm has to come out.

> >    BTW, the top plate adjustment should be backed off (or the plate
> > removed) when trying to replace the end plate or measure end play.
>
>   Sounds good. Could you explain why?

Otherwise it may hold the worm out of position, giving a false end play
reading or even damaging the bearings.

> Even tho it says for > rigid column I've seen other places where
> they use  it with the split column too,

Ah yes, it's definitely used with the split column as well.  There are also
two of the rubber/nylon bushings, not one as the Moss catalog says.

Randall